Tuesday 3 January 2012

The Big Challenge Takes Shape

I've had a bit more of a think about my big challenge and how to go about tackling this.  Let me explain...

As I mentioned in my previous post I've really enjoyed writing this blog and reading others.  Before I started my own blog I had only really ever read a couple of blogs of friends.  Since I've started writing my own I'm really into researching and reading all sorts of blogs.  Currently I'm reading blogs about education, how to create your own blog and make money, how to find your passion, happiness blogs, digital graphics and the list goes on.

So I'm thinking my new challenge will need to involve a blog somehow.  And then I came across the blog Think Traffic.  I found a post about a new challenge that the owner Corbett Barr was setting for himself and inviting people to join him.  The project is The Million Dollar Blog Project.  If you want an in depth look at what's involved in this project check out the link.

But basically it works like this:
  • Think Traffic will build a profitable blog and we're invited to follow along;
  • They will show exactly how they do this, from picking a topic, developing content, building a site, building an audience and generating an income; and
  • There are a couple of rules for participants (by the way it's free :-)) including keeping an accountability journal, installing a couple of traffic measurement tools and reporting any income made.
This project has already started and they have over 330 blogs signed up.  I have a lot of work to do in catching up and making a start.  I really want to do this well so I will be asking for your feedback along the way.  I will keep my accountability journal as part of this blog so you can see how I'm progressing.

However there is much to do even before I think about launching such a site.  Some of my initial tasks include:
  • Registering for the challenge and reading through the various posts
  • Picking a topic
  • Coming up with a name for the blog
  • Setting up the accountability journal
  • Building the blog
  • Writing content
  • Launching the blog
So I hear you asking why this, why am I setting myself this challenge?  A couple of things have come to light since I started this journey and that have helped me see that this could be a really positive thing.  These things include:
  1. I really like the idea of being my own boss; this could be an avenue to make this happen.  However, I will need to be very careful in my blog topic choice.  Previous experience has shown me that if I'm not fully committed to the product then it will likely be a flop.
  2. Much to my amazement I like writing and sharing information with people.
  3. I find technology and the information that's available quite intriguing
So stay tuned as I have lots to do and I can't wait to share my challenge.

But first I'd like to know...what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.